During our time on the road this summer we hit some of the best cities out there for hoops. Here are a few of our favorite stops – not just for the hoops but for kickin’ it, too.
by Jaimie Canterbury
1. The DMV: OK, and immediately we’re cheating and not choosing one city but a region: the DMV (Delaware/Maryland/Virginia). Otherwise we’d have to list all the cities we hit, and this blog would be way too long!
We keep comin’ back because the comp is great, the tournaments are big, and people seem to love our gear. So what’s not to love?
Our favorite other aspect of the DMV: not all the kids just look up to MJhere. They have the most love for players from their own cities and regions, whether that be KD, ‘Melo, Rudy Gay, Nolan Smith… we have much respect for ballplayers supporting their own.
2. Dallas (TX): Big D is known mostly for football and Jerry World, but the game is definitely big in Texas, too. All you had to do was look at Kentucky’s roster at this year’s Final Four – the Harrison twins and Julius Randle all hail from the Longhorn state! We were in Dallas three times this summer and it never let us down.
3. Springfield (MA): How could we NOT include the birthplace of the game? Our friends at BasketBull put on some great tournaments here, and the opportunity to pay respects at the Basketball Hall of Fame is always worth the trip.
4. Myrtle Beach (SC): This was one of the smaller tournaments we hit, but the teams were evenly matched, and let’s just say it’s pretty easy to have a good time here. We even sold a few pair of shorts literally on the beach!
5. Atlanta (GA): We’d be foolish not to give some love to our hometown! While it does get brutally hot in the ATL during the summer months, the competition is great, and nothing beats being able to sleep in your own bed after a long day on the courts!
Check back soon for entry #2 in our #DRYVTour 2014 recap!